Thursday, March 26, 2009

Algebra or Algeblah?

No, this is not a request for a spell-check. Those of you reading this are reading this at a time when I am either:
a. studying for my Algebra 2 test today,
b.
taking the test while glaring at my calculator, or
c. recovering from the horrors of said test.

The Lolcat sez- I mean says- it all. Granted, Algebra is preferable to Geometry's painful proofs, but really. When am I ever going to need to know how to reduce a square root discriminate in a quadratic function while using imaginary numbers? See? It's a whole different language! And really, imaginary numbers? Hello- imaginary means that they don't exist- why do I need to know how to use them in equations? Humph! Math.... Sam agrees with me- Why does she need to know about quadratics, and parabolas, and imaginary numbers when all she wants to do is cook? Alex is of a different opinion- he loves solving numerical puzzles. The geek.

Not that I'm bitter or anything, because based on what I want to do (other than be a fabulously famous author) I might need to know that x is equal to negative b plus or minus the square root of b squared minus 4ac all over 2a! All you math geeks out there should be able to follow- for those of you not yet in Algebra, it's the quadratic formula and it can be sung to "Pop Goes the Weasel." And then it gets stuck in your head... LOL

However, math does come in handy and quadratics are mostly fun-they actually make loops on the graph! Sorry, me and Sam are so ADD. Anyways, its only when you start tossing in weird stuff like the axis of symmetry and imaginary numbers that things start to get more annoying than alluring.

So have fun, study hard, and wish me luck on my test! And don't forget to come on over tomorrow and meet Alan's furry pal!

2 comments:

  1. You mentioned proofs in one sentence, and I instantly remembered how much I did not like them. Hah. At least your math test is now over:)

    Alyssa
    http://www.alyssamontgomery.com
    http://amontgomery99.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. Proofs were killer. And multiplying imaginary numbers... hardest part of the test! LOL

    Iris

    ReplyDelete